We recently caught up with some old friends — Trent Reznor, Billy Corgan, Chris Cornell, etc. — with a little feature we called ’90s Rock Stars Then and Now: 10 Alt-Rock Heroes Revisited. The thing caught on like wildfire — which of course made us plan out another one. With ’90s Rock Stars Then and Now: 10 (More) Alt-Rock Heroes Revisited, we keep the nostalgia train rolling and check in with Thom Yorke, Billie Joe Armstrong and others. What are they up to? How do they look? Do they still deserve our worship and respect, or have these fixtures of our youth outlived their usefulness? Find out below!
1. Thom Yorke then was the brooding, blonde-locked singer of ‘Creep’-ing Buzz Bin-ers Radiohead.
Now, he’s the shaggy-haired, stubble-faced frontman of one of the biggest, most talked-about bands in the alt-rock universe. Oh, and when he’s not leading Atoms for Peace, he still blows minds with Radiohead.
2. Then, Billie Joe Armstong was the peroxide-damaged singer of mega-platinum ‘Dookie’ rockers Green Day, and that allowed him to hobnob with folks like Winona Ryder.
Still with Green Day, Billie’s fresh out of rehab with a hit Broadway musical based on a mega-platinum punk-rock opera to his credit. (Winona didn’t see it, but she lifted a T-shirt from the theater gift shop.)
3. Zach de la Rocha then was the dreadlocked, throat-shredding master of sloaganeering for rabble-rousers Rage Against the Machine.
Now, he has a RATM reunion in his rearview and an unexpected new fan in the form of fiscally hawkish conservative congressman (and failed VP candidate) Paul Ryan.
4. Then Scott Weiland was fronting neo-grunge goliaths Stone Temple Pilots.
Recently booted from STP (again), Weiland is now pursuing a solo career (again).
5. Then: Richard Ashcroft was charging his way through the Verve’s ‘Bittersweet Symphony’ video.
With the Verve’s bittersweet reunion behind him, he’s now fronting the United Nations of Sound.
6. Then: Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz and Michael “Mike D” Diamond rocked the mic alongside bestie Adam “MCA” Yauch in the Beastie Boys.
Now: After the sad passing of MCA, the future of the Beastie Boys remains up in the air.
7. Then: Wayne Coyne was the mystical ringleader behind acid-fried art rockers the Flaming Lips.
Now: Wayne Coyne is the mystical ringleader behind acid-fried art rockers the Flaming Lips.
8. Perry Farrell was the tribal force behind Jane’s Addiction, the Lollapalooza festival and Porno for Pyros.
Nowadays, Perry still rocks with Jane’s and leads Lollapalooza, but Porno for Pyros have gone the way of his warpaint.
9. Rivers Cuomo was a geek-rock up-and-comer lamenting destroyed sweaters with Weezer.
Now, he’s a multi-platinum-selling geek-rock superstar still with Weezer. When the band sets sail on its tropical fan cruises, no sweaters required.
10. Then: Feuding brothers Liam and Noel Gallagher and their bloody-huge Britpop band Oasis brought ‘Wonderwall’ to the masses.
Now: The estranged Gallaghers keep things separate with Liam’s Beady Eye and Noel Gallagher High Flying Birds. Americans can’t tell the bleeding difference.
It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on .
To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you.
To activate your account, please confirm your password.
When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.
It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://diffuser.fm using your original account information.