Invisible Singer Electrocuted Onstage
Dave Okumu, lead singer of the Invisible, survived an electrocution midway through a set in Lagos, Nigeria, last Thursday.
According the Nigerian entertainment publication thenetng.com, Okumu was electrocuted by the strings of his bass guitar, due to poor set up and ungrounded power. The frontman fell to the stage after the shock. He was able to make it off the stage with the help of crew members -- and some cheerful laughter.
The band has canceled all forthcoming engagements in light of the near tragedy, so Spinner tells the story. Okumu was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital and was flown home to Britian on Friday. He’s currently in recovery for a sprain sustained after the accident.
The singer and guitarist expressed his gratitude via Twitter earlier today. “Thanks4 all kind words,” he tweeted. “This has been one of the worst experiences but, as my mother taught me, it is possible to transcend all things with love X.”
The London band was nominated for a prestigious Mercury prize in 2009 for their self-titled album. Their sophomore record, ‘Rispah,’ drops on June 11.
A laugh after an electrocution, a shout out to Mom’s transcendent love from the hospital bed? Dave Okumu, you are awesome. Get well soon.