Tom DeLonge Says Blink-182 Almost Dropped Travis Barker Last Year
It's looking less and less like Blink-182 will be able to stay together for the kids.
In the wake of a revealing Rolling Stone interview in which bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis Barker called Tom DeLonge "disrespectful and ungrateful," the estranged guitarist/vocalist took to Twitter to take his own jab. DeLonge said: "A year ago, Mark and I spent a week on the phone with managers debating parting with Travis ... Don't pretend there isn't more to this story."
DeLonge quickly deleted the tweet, but it's a pretty solid indication that the pop-punk trio's reunion might well be over.
If you're just catching up with this story, everything began to hit the fan yesterday (Jan. 26) when Blink-182 were announced as headliners of this year's MUSINK Music and Tattoo Festival (which Barker co-owns) but with Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio listed as a guest. Speculation prompted a statement from the band's management that said DeLonge "didn't want to participate in any Blink-182 projects indefinitely." But DeLonge responded to headlines about the band's break-up by posting a Facebook update saying he never quit.
Hoppus and Barker, however, painted a different picture in the RS interview published a few hours later. Hoppus said Blink-182 were supposed to spend this month working on a follow-up to 2011's 'Neighborhoods' -- their second album since returning from hiatus in 2009 -- but DeLonge pulled out.
"We booked Jan. 5 to go into the studio,” Hoppus said. “On Dec. 30, we get an e-mail from Tom's manager saying that he has no interest in recording and that he wants to do his other, non-musical stuff and that he's out indefinitely. There's a flurry of e-mails going back and forth for clarification about the recording and the show and his manager sends [an e-mail] back saying, 'Tom. Is. Out.' Direct quote. This is the exact same e-mail we got back in 2004 when Tom went on indefinite hiatus before."
Hoppus also said he wasn't surprised to learn DeLonge wasn't interested in recording with the band. "My guess is that Tom was embarrassed because he doesn't want to do Blink," he said. "I think that the fans know. Look at each of our social media accounts and look who talks and promotes Blink-182 or is excited about Blink-182. Travis and I were ready to walk into a studio January 5th. That speaks louder than anything."
Hoppus said the band will now focus on the MUSINK Festival and put recording plans on the back burner, but it would likely be a surprise to see DeLonge involved again.
"When Tom finally said, 'I'm not going to go into the studio or play this show,' it was kind of a gigantic relief because at least he finally said it," Hoppus said. "But to then say, 'I didn't quit the band,' it's just not true. It's disingenuous. I just wish Tom does whatever makes him happy and stops holding Blink-182 back from what we all agree that we're going to do: play shows, record music, continue this legacy and have a good time doing it."
Blink-182 -- 'Stay Together for the Kids' Official Music Video