More Than 60,000 Petition Glastonbury to Remove Kanye West
After Glastonbury organizers announced that Kanye West will headline the second night of this summer's festival, fans quickly rallied in an uproar and started a petition to stop it from happening. While the idea might seem a little crazy, the number of signatures (as of March 19) has already reached more than 60,000.
According to the original petition, which launched on March 17:
Kanye West is an insult to music fans all over the world. We spend hundreds of pounds to attend glasto, and by doing so, expect a certain level of entertainment.
Kanye has been very outspoken on his views on music....he should listen to his own advice and pass his headline slot on to someone deserving!
Lets prevent this musical injustice now!
NME spoke with Neil Lonsdale, the man who started the petition, and aside from revealing that he's never been to the U.K. festival, he explained why he started the movement. "Glastonbury needs upbeat major artists," Lonsdale said. "Glastonbury is an institution. It is expected that it has the biggest names. The biggest performers. Kanye does not represent that." Lonsdale also said, "I fought the temptation to scream and instead opted to hurl my iPhone across the room. Two years ago, we had the Rolling Stones playing the Saturday night and this year we get Kanye West? It's an outrage!"
However there are people who completely support Kanye's placement as a headliner and have started their own petition entitled, "Cancel all acts at Glastonbury other than Kanye West," which has garnered a little over 200 signatures so far.
Kanye has yet to respond to the backlash.
Foo Fighters are slated to headline on June 26, which they announced after winning the NME award for Best International Band. Meanwhile Lionel Ritchie is on the bill to close the festival on June 28, according to the Glastonbury website. Check out Jack White's performance at last year's festival below.
Jack White -- "Lazaretto" (Live at Glastonbury 2014)