Carrie Brownstein, Stephen Malkmus + More Unite for ‘Battle Hymns’ Benefit Album
A musical collective including Carrie Brownstein, Stephen Malkmus and Built to Spill's Doug Martsch has come together for Battle Hymns, an album of protest songs inspired by the current political climate whose proceeds have been earmarked for the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and 350.org.
In addition to the aforementioned artists, songs, musical contributions, and studio time were donated by a number of alternative favorites, including ex-R.E.M. member Peter Buck and New Pornographers leader Carl Newman. The results add up to a track listing whose titles range from the tongue in cheek (Mac McCaughan's "Happy New Year (Prince Can't Die Again)," which you can listen to in a solo version here) to the bluntly reactive (Martsch's "F--- 2016").
The Battle Hymns compilation was curated with the support of Sam Coomes and Janet Weiss, a.k.a. Quasi, who serve as the backing band on a number of the record's cuts and are offering the LP as a digital download — released just in time for Inauguration Day — that can be downloaded in exchange for whatever fans feel comfortable paying.
Check out the complete Battle Hymns track listing below, and visit Quasi's official site to download the album.
'Battle Hymns' Track Listing
1. “We Won’t Go Back,” Love Always (Kathy Foster)
2. “Happy New Year (Prince Can’t Die Again),” Mac McCaughan
3. “Save Our Soul,” Boss Hog
4. “Midnight Cruisers,” Stephen Malkmus
5. “Time Bomb,” Drew Grow
6. “No More Fizz,” MEDS (Carrie Brownstein and Katie Harkin)
7. “Fight the Hate,” Mary Timony
8. “Ballad of Donald Duck & Elmer Fudd,” Quasi
9. “A Kind of Survival,” Libraness (Ash Bowie)
10. “Love in the Time of Resistance,” Filthy Friends (Corin Tucker, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Kurt Bloch, Bill Rieflin)
11. “Our Nero,” Carl Newman
12. “NO DIVISION,” Rebecca Gates
13. “F-- 2016,” Doug Martsch
14. “Spider House,” Sean Croghan
2017's Most Anticipated New Releases