Conor Oberst Drops Lawsuit Against Rape Accuser
Conor Oberst won’t pursue any legal action against the North Carolina woman who accused him of raping her at a concert in 2003.
According to Buzzfeed, lawyers for the embattled Bright Eyes frontman filed a notice of voluntary dismissal in his defamation lawsuit against Joanie Faircloth, an alleged “superfan” who claimed in December that Oberst forced himself on her when she was 16. Oberst filed the suit in February and said the accusations cost him at least $700,000 in album sales, ticket sales and publishing deals.
Last week, Faircloth released a notarized statement retracting the allegations. “The statements I made and repeated online and elsewhere over the past six months accusing Conor Oberst of raping me are 100% false,” Faircloth said. “I made up those lies about him to get attention while I was going through a difficult period in my life and trying to cope with my son’s illness. I publicly retract my statements about Conor Oberst, and sincerely apologize to him, his family, and his fans for writing such awful things about him.”
Oberst released his own statement Wednesday saying he accepted Faircloth’s apology. He also quickly shifted attention back to his music, releasing a video for ‘You Are Your Mother’s Child.’ Check it out:
Subscribe to Diffuser.fm on