Record Store Day 2016 Official Release List Revealed
The releases slated for this year's Record Store Day were announced today (March 8) during a press conference at the legendary Electric Lady Studios in New York City. This year's RSD will be celebrated at indie record stores throughout the U.S. on Saturday, April 16.
Here are just some of the incredible special releases that will be available:
- David Bowie reissues of "TVC 15" and "The Man Who Sold the World" on picture disc and the 50th anniversary release of his Pye singles, I Dig Everything - The Pye Years 1966
- The Flaming Lips' alternate mix of Cloud Tastes Metallic with a comic written and illustrated by Wayne Coyne; and an 8xLP albums boxset called Heady Nuggs Vol.II Studio Albums 2006 - 2012
- Florence + the Machine's "Delilah / Only Love Can Break Your Heart," featuring studio and demo versions of "Delilah" and the Neil Young cover
- Chvrches' Every Open Eye Remix EP
- A Bob Dylan EP called Melancholy Mood that was previously exclusive to his recent Japanese tour
- Death Cab for Cutie's "Tractor Rape Chain"/"Black Sun," featuring two live tracks and a Guided by Voices cover
- Husker Du's out-of-print 1982 single "In A Free Land" on 7"
- Jay Reatard's Blood Visions 10th anniversary reissue with a bonus demos 7"
- Foals' "Rain" 7" with a cover of Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker's "Daffodils"
- A 16-track LP of Mac DeMarco demos, Another (Demo) One, recorded in his bedroom
- Big Star's reunion show Complete Columbia: Live at Missouri University 4/25/93, on double-LP
- Patti Smith's Horses Live Electric Lady Studios, a new live version of the classic album, recorded last year in the same studio as the original
- The Weeknd's The Hills Remixes, featuring Eminem and Nicki Minaj
- Run the Jewels' virtual reality viewer for viewing their "Crown" VR video (coming soon)
- Metz and Mission of Burma cover each other on "Good Not Great" b/w "Get Off" 7"
- A 7" featuring new songs from Mazzy Star's Hope Sandoval
- Best Coast's "Late 20s" b/w "Bigger Man" 7", featuring two previously unreleased B-sides
- A 7" compiling Townes Van Zandt covers by the late Jason Molina
Find complete details on all the releases (including format and how many copies will be available) here. You can even download a PDF of the full list here.
Last year's RSD led to 12-year sales highs at independent record stores in the U.S. and, perhaps ironically, the biggest seller wasn't a vinyl LP at all – it was a cassette release of Metallica's early demo, No Life 'Til Leather.
Fittingly, Metallica are this year's Record Store Day Ambassadors and, in honor of the occasion, they're releasing a new live album and reissuing their classics Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. Drummer Lars Ulrich spoke about the importance of indie record stores in a statement. “Independent record stores are part of Metallica’s DNA,” he said. “They have been pivotal in shaping each one of us into the music fanatics we’ve all become. We could not be any prouder to be Record Store Day Ambassadors for 2016 and are looking forward to screaming from every rooftop the next few months about everything independent record store and beyond.”