The Strokes Confirm They’re Working on a New Album ‘Soon’
The Strokes came together for a performance at Washington D.C.’s inaugural Landmark Festival on Sunday night (Sept. 27), and according to a flurry of tweets from concertgoers, the NYC rockers confirmed they will soon return to the studio to record a follow-up to Comedown Machine.
According to one tweet, frontman Julian Casablancas told the crowd, “We’ll be back soon. We’ll be back in the studio and s--t.” Guitarist Nick Valensi’s wife, Amanda de Cadenet, doubled down on the news, tweeting that Casablancas “let the cat outta the bag.”
The Strokes released Comedown Machine back in 2013 but didn't tour behind the album. Although, earlier in the year, Casablancas said the band were already writing new music and had plans to record, Albert Hammond Jr. seemingly walked back those claims when he told BBC6 he wasn’t confident the band would reunite for more shows let alone a new album.
Despite Hammond's uncertainties, the Strokes’ appearance at Landmark follows performances at London’s Hyde Park and Primavera Sound back in June. They’re also slated to play this year’s Austin City Limits in October.
Between their one-off live gigs, individually, the Strokes have kept busy. Hammond issued his latest solo effort, Momentary Masters, over the summer, while Casablancas made his debut with his side project, the Voidz, last year.